Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Making a Living

Dear Carmen,

Do you think we rely too much on each other? As soon as we finished our weekend together I found I had little in the way of motivation except to complete whatever tasks assigned to my person so I can meet your great family again.

On the other hand I am glad that I have taken the first steps to converting the Sivarjan family from a military to corporate stance, for that will provide us with long term stability and a steady source of income.

I kind of enjoy my work in the office of pioneering support, even if I am the victim of much discrimination and always misunderstood. That's because unlike most of the office's employees, I actually hail from the pioneering profession! Only the senior managers and supervisors accept me as a person; the rest see my knowledge as a threat to their very existence and impose some sort of social isolation on me as though loneliness would break my will. It doesn't, just gives me peace of mind to do whatever I want - including getting rid of certain big-mouthed individuals who prove to be no more than grovelling serfs once I am promoted to the same level.

But it does get distressing. Like today. I went to work, everyone had their partners chatting merrily, I had to manage some logistics arrangements alone after the manager on duty just about went "ROSA DO THIS NOW" then snapped back to chatting the next moment... sigh

After several hours of that I just about got fed up of it all and refused to dine with my colleagues. Especially after some of them asked if anything was wrong at seeing me pack up and go. I ignored them. I wanted them to realise something. I went to sit on this hilltop overlooking the colony, hair flying free in the wind... and that's when my aide literally galloped right up to me and handed me Vanir's poem which almost instantly reversed my fate for this otherwise sad and boring day.

Now I shall wait a few hours for him to return. I pray that he does, every time. This "new" world is a very cruel place. That much I concluded from standing in for your police work in the Tetra Catacombs this dawn as you attend to the Queen's errands. It was an eye opener, to experience the kind of work you do firsthand. I have already despatched the mission report to your family, I hope I did fine.

No comments: